I wanted to start the year with something that would allow me the flexibility to review previous ideas and introduce some of the big ideas for 8th grade. I'm looking at Sierpinski's Triangle to be that "kick-off" to the year.
This is a rough list but here are the ideas that connect to Sierpinski's Triangle
- Midpoint/midpoint formula
- Similar Figures
- Fraction/Percent Representation and Operation
- Rate of Change
- Representation (graph, table, equation)
- Triangular Numbers (other special numbers)
- Area of triangles (other shapes - how related to triangles)
- Parallel lines/Transversal/special angles
- Pythagorean Theorem and Distance Formula
- Other triangle patterns
- Slope triangles (similarity)
- Other recursive relationships/Fractals
The kick off is Sierpinski's Triangle but the focus widens to include multiple triangle connections. I'm still working on the details of what connections students need to make first and a loose timeline but I am interested in your feedback.