Monday, June 14, 2010

Ian Jukes came to town

My school district invited Ian Jukes to speak at our summer academy this year about learning and teaching in the 21st century. In the morning, he set the stage on why we need to be aware of quickly changing technology. That afternoon he spoke about the Digital Learner's profile and summarized what the research says. Much of the information presented was not completely new but I still find it an important and motivating message. Here are some of the ideas that resonated with me:
  • Finding balance - We want DLs to respect "school". We must respect where they are coming from too.
  • Problem based learning
  • Progressive Withdrawl - getting kids to think on their own
I definitely have a lot to think about this summer as I decide the structures and routines that will define my time with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment